Breaking The Gender Barrier.

WRITTEN ON WEDNESDAY

So my main goal in my portfolio is to break some stereotypes. When I sat down with my group at the beginning of the year I made it clear that I felt the need to subtly put social commentary into our project. So I started to look at how many movies about boxing and fight clubs portrayed women in an empowering light. None. Literally only movies that focused on martial arts and sword fighting, mainly asian movies. That's the stereotype I want to break. That is my main focus and goal through this portfolio project I want to portray women in a positive light in a field where not many women are seen. I slightly hinted at this to my group but I seem to have lost most of my opinion in what we are doing. I'm just kinda going along and hearing out everyone else' ideas and trying to better them. I think the women lead real could really strengthen the impact that our film opening leaves on the audience. Surprisingly all my research lead me to UNICEF to look into how to successfully tackle a gender barrier. Besides all the programs and innovations to motivate women in society it spoke about how to make the genders equal with each's ability. As much as I'm an advocate for feminism and love the idea of breaking barriers we have to understand that there are certain physical limitations to how far we can really push this thing while staying true to reality and defying social standards. My research somehow shifted from how to break social stereotypes on the effects of social stereotypes. Let me tell you; it opened my eyes. The CNN article I read explained how young girls look up to major media women and how inspiring these women are to them. Even though this fight scene is not some big movement or a political stand, I want it to show young girls that if they want this career path it's 100% a viable option. It's important for me to spread a message with my work, I need to feel like I'm making a change. It needs to be moving and empowering. I digress. Anyway I'm going to bring this research to my group and get their opinion. hopefully we'll have a woman fighter.

https://www.unicef.org/innovation/stories/breaking-gender-stereotypes
https://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/health/gender-stereotypes-media-children-partner/index.html

Comments

Popular Posts